Ethical issues and Transitions-in-care planning
Transitions-in-care planning is a daily activity filled with many ethical challenges. These challenges extend from the bedside, to boardrooms and to legislative levels. Transitions-in-care planning has a significant and lasting impact on people in need of care, their families, practitioners and healthcare and raises serious ethical issues.
The aim of this symposium is to make recommendations for structural improvement to the system that will benefit both patients and health care workers, relieving moral distress.
Bob Parke: Transitions-in-care Planning and Moral Distress
Bridget Campion: Transitions-in-care Planning: Some Ethical Considerations
Jane Meadus: The Elderly and Transitions-in-care Planning
Rory Fisher: Concluding Remarks
Cardinal Ambrozic Lecture
Annual Lecture Series
- 2013 – Can One Plan for a Good Death? The Legal, Practical and Ethical Intend of Advance Directives with Guest Speaker Rick Firth, Executive Director, Hospice Palliative Care Ontario
- 2012 – High Quality, High Value – Hospice Palliative Care in Ontario with Guest Speaker Rick Firth, Executive Director, Hospice Palliative Care Ontario
- 2010 – Ethical and Loving Care of Persons Living with Progressive Cognitive Impairments and Their Families with Guest Speaker William Sullivan, MD, PhD
- 2009 – A deeply Human Need: Palliative Care for the Young, the Old, the Marginalized and the Homeless with Guest Speakers Dr. Marisa Zorzitto, geriatrician at St. Michaels Hospital; Dr. Chris Newman, pediatrician and palliative care specialist at Sick Kids; Rowena Thirlwell, RN, palliative care nurse at Perram House, a hospice for the homeless and marginalized.
Other Lectures and Discussions
- 2014 – Islamic Perspectives on End of Life Issues with Dr. Shabbir Alibhai
- 2012 – Discharge Planning as a Quotidian Ethical Issue Impacting Patients with Guest Speaker Bob Parke, BA, BSW, MSW, MHSc Bioethics
- 2012 – A LOOK AND CRITIQUE OF THE LIVERPOOL CARE PATHWAY Ensuring quality palliative care—Can guidelines and pathways help? with Guest Speaker Dr A.T. Kerigan
- 2012 – Sedation of Persons who are Seriously Ill or Dying: Catholic Positions with Guest Speaker William Sullivan, MD, PhD
- 2012 – Assisted Suicide: A Clear and Present Danger? with Rory Fisher, MB, FRCP(Ed)(C)
- 2012 – Assisted Suicide: A Clear and Present Danger? with Moira McQueen, LLB, MDiv, PhD.
- 2012 – The Gift of Life — Organ Donation: A Catholic Perspective with Guest Speakers Sabrina Coccagna, Deacon Michael Hayes and Ronnie Gavsie, Trillium Gift of Life Network CEO
- 2010 – Ethical Concerns in Pandemic Planning with Guest Speaker Rory Fisher
- 2010 – Ethical Concerns in Pandemic Planning with Guest Speaker Shawn Tracy
Video featuring CCBI
- 2013 – Female Gendercide – Perspectives Weekly – As pro-lifers prepare to March for Life in Ottawa, host Kris Dmytrenko examines the issue with guests Dr. Moira McQueen from the Canadian Catholic Bioethics Institute, Peter D. Murphy from the Catholic Organization for Life and Family, and Rebecca Richmond from the National Campus Life Network.